TECHNET Archives

October 2001

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:35:50 -0500
Michael got that right. I only know this because he made me remember all I
forgot as well - brain cells or not. For sure - not many.

That Sedlak guy out in my old home town (Mt. View) has all the answers on
this as well. I bring this up because of his continuing excellent
dissertations concerning ENIG and other coating/plating stuff.

I know you can put it on before or after, with the right SM or other stuff.
Also, lot's of folks like to do the "flash" gold before SM application. This
brings up other questions, asked many times on this forum, concerning
exposed copper as a function of an electrolitic process, using gold as the
final etch resist, leaving copper exposed for obvious reasons.

I guess the answer to my obvious question has been thoroughly beat to death
with no clear evidence that exposed copper is an issue with which to be
concerned. Right? But, are there advantages to "flash" gold being
electroplated over nickel over copper vs ENIG. I've always been an
electroplated type guy. Rudy, where are you on this?

Earl Moon