TECHNET Archives

October 2001

From:
Francois Monette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:00:59 -0400
Larry,

Another major issue is often overlooked for double side boards with moisture
sensitive components on both sides, as in this case.

The key point is that the first reflow does not bake the moisture out of the
components. Moisture diffusion inside a plastic package is a very slow
process and a reflow cycle is much too fast to have any significant impact.
The net result is that the components on the first side continue to absorb
moisture after they are reflowed on the board, in addition to what they had
already absorbed prior to placement. Of course, you need to make sure that
the board will go back through the second reflow before any of the
components, one the top and bottom side have reached the limit of their
floor life.

The outcome is that for double-sided boards you have to account for the
overall exposure time, from the time that all parts were originally taken
out of their dry bags, until the final reflow is complete. This means that
whatever system or procedure you had in place for controlling
moisture-sensitive components must be extended to track partially assembled
boards and their remaining floor life in addition to the remaining floor
life of components prior to placement.

The above requirements are clearly defined in the joint IPC/JEDEC standard
J-STD-033, section 8.4.4 : "If more than one reflow pass is used, care must
be taken to ensure that no moisture sensitive components, mounted or
unmounted, have exceeded their floor life prior to the final pass".

I hope this information is helpful,
Regards,

Francois Monette
Cogiscan Inc.