TECHNET Archives

October 2001

From:
"Houston, Terri" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:07:43 -0600
Mike,
Folks at Nokia Research Center in Irving, Texas did studies on enlarged
corner pads. They were trying to improve PBGA reliability without using
underfill and found that removing the corner solder joints didn't help much.
Their other option was to strengthen the joints by making the balls
oversize. By making the corner pads and balls bigger, they anchor the
package to the carrier and are better able to handle shock inputs. Their
solution was dubbed "anchor pads."

Let me know if you would like more info.

Terri