TECHNET Archives

October 2001

From:
Steve Abrahamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:09:39 -0600
         Hello Technetters,

        I was wondering if anyone elso is placing the National Semiconductor
Micro SMD Component.  Our team in RTP was looking for some rework answers.
        They are able to remove the part with a hot air pencil, but part
replacement has been tough.
        The 8 bump WLCSP (Waffer Level Chip Scale Package) is only 1.4mm x
1.4mm- smaller than an 0805 component.  The rework machine vacuum tube
cannot handle the component, and the mini micro stencil process is almost
impossible because the components are packed together so tightly- it is not
easy to get sufficient tacky flux down on the .0065" diameter pad either.  A
redesign is not feasible.
        Short of creating a special jig to hold the component in place as a
hot air pencil is used to reflow, has anyone got any ideas.
        National Semiconductor tells me to use the same process as we would
for any CSP, but this part is just too small for the SRT rework machine.

        Has anyone dealt with solder ladden preforms that are in the sub
.010" range?

        Here is the WEB site of the package.
        http://www.national.com/packaging/other.html#microSMD

        Steve A