TECHNET Archives

October 2001

From:
"Elensky, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:25:04 -0700
Jerry,

The QUAD IV-C is a good low volume machine.  We had 7 of the 3 / 4 -C
machines.  The were reliable producers, although not built for speed.

Programming is not too bad.  The utility package and placement are optimizer
pretty good. Get the off-line package from QUAD if it doesn't come with the
machine.  You will need a CAD converter for your own CAD software.

If $$ are an issue, (they usually are in development), a good screen printer
to consider is the SMT-1414, -1616, -2020.  They are semi-automatics that
can be found in many used equipment lists.
For stencils, I would suggest the use of foils and a universal frame.
(IIT offers a good solution ( www.integratedideas.com
<http://www.integratedideas.com>  )  This keeps costs down, storage issues
at a minimum, and they are easy to handle.

Reflow oven?  I would suggest the use of a convection oven, rather than IR.
There are many models available in many different styles. (inline, batch,
etc.)  I was very happy with our Heller 988's and 1088's.  Full convection,
4 zones top and bottom, external cooling zone.

Some type of profiling tool will be very important for developing your
reflow profiles.  Datapaq, and MOLE are a few.  They all work very well.

You may need some additional rework tools for the inevitable...  Specialized
tools for QFP's, PLCC's and the likes.

Good luck,  keep the 'net updated on your progress.

Richard Elensky
Sr. Manufacturing Engineer

Tel:  559-292-1111  x246
Fax:  559-292-9355