TECHNET Archives

October 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:12:37 +0300
Neil

I agree with you. I come back to what I said earlier. Pound/kg (being
both masses) is a fixed ratio, no matter what the gravitational pull
causing acceleration. An earth pound of sugar on the moon will feel ~1/6
as heavy and an earth kg of sugar on the moon will also feel ~1/6 as
heavy. Both, measured on an equilibrium balance, against standard
weights, will weigh what they did on earth but, on a spring balance,
will indicate ~1/6 the weight.

I agree with you that SI or, at least, derived metric units should be
the only units used for scientific and technological subjects. The USA
passed a metrication bill in, I think, 1886, making metric units the
standard. It just takes them a little time to put into practice what the
legislators say. As the USA signed the ISO papers standard about 40
years ago, it may mean that they will abandon their terrible letter and
legal sizes in another 100, who knows? I'm afraid that I shall never see
a US document fit comfortably into a file that you can buy in
practically any country of the world! :-(

Brian