LEADFREE Archives

October 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
James Vincent +44 1327 356318 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:51:29 +0000
Hi Folks

In the dim and distant past we presented to the forum our theory/feeling/guess
(delete as you see fit) that the traditional relationship seen for tin-lead
between lifetime and service conditions, as derived from accelerated
thermomechanical tests, was different for lead-free.  This came out of work in
the IDEALS European project that finished 2 years ago.

Specifically, we had some evidence to suggest that for lead-free, the service
life under benign (e.g. domestic) conditions would be longer than predicted by
standard accelerated tests, but that as service conditions got more severe
(e.g. approaching new automotive under-hood requirements) that tin-lead may be
better and certainly would be no worse than lead-free.  In other words there
might be a 'crossover' in the 'lifetime vs. severity' graph, with lead-free
better at the low severity end and tin-lead better at the high severity end.
The point of the crossover looked to be at about the severity of -25 / +125 deg
C cycling, so many of our test results suggested that SnPb and Pb-free were
equivalent in reliability, hence the carefully constructed comments in the
IDEALS write-ups you may have read.  (I am also aware that 'severity' itself is
complicated to define, but that really is a point for another day!)

Our data to support this supposition was real enough, but was not good enough
to publish so we could never really push the point.  I wonder if anyone out
there has data that can confirm or disprove this theory.  I know there was an
exchange on this topic back in July/August so apologies for any duplication.  I
am trying to draw together what 'we' know about thermomechanical reliability
and would appreciate any input.

By all means reply to me directly on [log in to unmask] if you feel that
the rest of the forum is not likely to be interested.

Thanks and regards to all.

Jim Vincent
(Project Manager of IDEALS)

+++++++++
    From: James H Vincent
          Marconi Optical Components
          Caswell, Towcester NN12 8EQ, UK

     Tel: +44 1327 356318 (direct), M-Net: +942 6318
          +44 1327 350581 (switchboard)
     Fax: +44 1327 356775
  E-mail: [log in to unmask]
     WWW: http://www.moc.marconi.com

The information contained in this message is legally privileged and
confidential information intended for the eyes of the individual or
entity named above.   If the reader of this message is not the
distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by telephone.

Marconi Optical Components Limited
Registered in England No. 4113798
Registered Office:  One Bruton Street London W1J 6AQ