TECHNET Archives

September 2001

From:
"Goldman, Patricia J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:06:26 -0400
It's been a long time since I've done any gold electroplating, but...  one thing I remember is that the gold plate is too thin too have any significant  influence on the surface topography.  Any pits or nodules are most likely due to the underlying copper, sometimes to the nickel, but highly, highly unlikely to be due to the gold.  So, focus first on the copper process, then on the nickel process.

Much more troubleshooting info can be found in Section 10.0 (Electroplating) of IPC-PE-740, Troubleshooting Guide for Printed Board Manufacture and Assembly.  Section 10.6 deals with gold plating.

Patty
Patricia J. Goldman
PPG Industries, Inc.
724-274-3417