TECHNET Archives

September 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 09:26:46 +0300
Jana

The first question to ask is why the solder mask is blistering. This is
probably indicative of some form of contamination before it is applied.
This contamination, if it is ionic, or partially so, may be an indicator
that dendrite formation may occur  under unfavourable circumstances. If
so, the reliability may be reduced.

IMHO, bare copper, if the circuit is clean, will not reduce reliability.
After all, this finish was common in the past, before solder masks
became common (pre-1970), with hand-soldered assemblies and no problems
arose.

Brian