TECHNET Archives

September 2001

From:
"Dorothy M. Lush" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 09:19:41 -0700
Howard I had a problem with the solder joint of a very large part's lead (by
comparison to other parts on the PCA) coming away from the pad with all the
solder attached to it because it was going through double reflow (the first
reflow looked and was great) and the part was not being cooled fast enough
to avoid terrific crystal growth within the solder. Are you seeing any of
these process problems? Is there something in the layout (p[roximity to
power/ground planes, large land pads or large parts) that is/are slowing the
heating/cooling rates? You might just have to remelt the joints with
soldering tips to reduce the crystal size and improve the structure.

Dorothy Lush