TECHNET Archives

September 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 18:21:04 +0300
Jeff

The HFCs from DuPont and HFEs from 3M are both much milder than even
CFC-113. They are both very expensive and their vapours have a high
global warming potential. For these two reasons, they should be used
only in relatively expensive zero-emission machines. There are a number
of blends available, mostly azeotropic, with better cleaning power than
the pure solvents, but still less powerful than, for example, Freon TMS
which many considered as the only CFC-113 blend any good at defluxing.
The stronger blends contain trans-1,2-dichloroethylene (TDCE) which is a
chlorinated solvent whose tox data is not entirely clear. It may also be
incompatible with some plastics. In fact, 3M are just marketing a new
blend with a high percentage of TDCE, which should be cheaper and better
for degreasing, but I frankly can't see the advantage of the small
quantity of HFE in it!

I would seriously suggest that, if you wish to try these solvents, you
may find them better with a good old-fashioned RA wire, rather than a
"no-clean".

Hope this helps

Brian