TECHNET Archives

September 2001

From:
Eric Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:55:36 -0700

Selective Soldering machines are a good way to "finish automation" if
the design of the pcb's are conducive to the application with just a few
components to solder.  You have a great start on what to look for as far
as a decision matrix for selecting a machine.  I would also recommend
looking into the actual process;  Flux application (overspray can be
very detrimental to cleanliness, also look for hole fill), solder level
measurement, nitrogen consumption and ppm levels (if no-clean flux
requires it), pcb recognition (fiducial or hardstop), preheating
profiles (ramp rates and peak temperature), warped pcb damage avoidance
are just some things I can think of to add to your list.  In my
experience, offline programming would be a necessity to keep the machine
running.  The programming would also have to be generated from a CIM
system such as CIMBridge or Technomatix to avoid teaching from gerbers
or by hand.

Also watch out for the promise of very tight spacing capabilities.  For
instance, the vendor mentions they can solder through-hole leads 0.020"
next to a SM component.  This may be possible if you have 0.150" on the
other side of the through-hole lead and you use the lead to wick the
solder to the hole. Not a robust process but possible if the PCB design
allows it.  Some machines also require unique fixturing for each PCB
design which will further increase the cost of the machine. Selective
soldering machines are very limiting but are a good option for a very
specific application or pcb design.

Now that I've shared my experience, I'd like to share another option
that I am currently involved with.  Most likely you have looked into
selective solder pallets for the same applications.  Typically if the
PCB has 10-15 components (which is a lot) and your release quantities
are above 100, the cost justification for a selective soldering machine
would be very difficult.  I know because I have tried to justify
selective soldering machines with a prior employer and could not get the
numbers in the same ball park.  Selective solder pallets are a much
easier process to characterize in a manufacturing facility with wave
soldering capabilities. With a process engineering group driving the
design of such pallets, your
yields for wave soldering can be world class.   If you would like to
talk
more about your applications, please feel free to contact myself or a
Ascentec Engineering sales associate.

Good luck, have a great Expo show

Morris Torseth
Process Engineer