TECHNET Archives

September 2001

From:
Jack Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:39:38 -0500
>>> "Kasprzak, Bill   (sys)  USX" <[log in to unmask]> 09/18/01 03:21PM >>>

Peter:

This case is lacking details but......

If you're getting good coverage with the foam fluxer then (assuming flux is
good with the proper specific gravity), one of three things are going on,

1) If you're insufficient on the top side, you may want to consider an air
knife after the foam fluxer to promote flux to blow up the plated thru hole.
In this case your bottom side joints are coming out OK but your top side is
not.

2) If you're getting good coverage but the pre-heat is too hot, the flux
activity level is gone by the time you get to your wave. This will result in
insufficient joints all over.

3) Your boards and/or parts are bad, switch to a more aggressive flux.

IMO, a foam fluxer works great. Switching to a spray is very costly and not
necessarily the best way to go.

Bill Kasprzak
Moog Inc., Electronic Assembly Engineering