TECHNET Archives

September 2001

From:
Jack Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:49:56 -0500
>>> Chris Murphy <[log in to unmask]> 09/17/01 11:11PM >>>

Hi Technetters,

I have got a board covered with SMD RF shields in front of me, ranging
in size from 15mm x 15mm to 140mm x 40mm to 70mm square.  The spacing
between them is only 1.5mm, and they are up to 12.5mm high.

I am working through the many issues with these, such as methods of P&P,
board / shield warpage, and how we are going to reflow parts under
them.  My question is does anyone know of equipment out there that we
can use to rework these shields?  I vaguely recollect seeing a machine
that moved a hot air nozzle rapidly around in a rectangular pattern, but
I am not sure how effective it will be for larger shields that are
spaced so closely together.

Is there anyone else doing this type of board, and does anyone have any
supplier contacts?

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris Murphy,