TECHNET Archives

September 2001

From:
Ryan Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:41:33 -0600
What you didn't mention is the relative rate this phenomenon occurs.  Having
it occur on the same board type built by two different assemblers could just
be a coincident.  If it is, then I have seen this and it is an elusive
problem that can be very difficult to eliminate.  There are many sources of
gold finger contamination, but I only have a short list.
1.  traces of solder paste on the board support tooling in the screen
printer.  (Check there first!)
2.  accumulated solder paste in the stencil wash redepositing on boards
washed there.
3.  not washing misprinted boards in an ultrasonic stencil wash, thus
allowing solder powder to surface from every crevice on the board.
4.  traces of solder paste on the underside of the stencil allowing solder
balls that find their way onto the edge fingers.
5.  aggressive reflow ramp rates that cause solder balls which get onto the
fingers.
6.  other unidentified causes.

If it is not a coincident that both vendors have this problem, I'm at a loss
for explanations.

Kind Regards

Ryan Grant
Advanced Technology Engineer