TECHNET Archives

September 2001

From:
"Landes, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:17:24 -0400
My company has custom equipment manufactured for us, that we design.  In the
past we have not had to use BGA packages -- but we now have components that
only come in BGA packages for upcoming designs.

I am sending a question list to some vendors to start becoming familiar with
their BGA capabilities, efforts and experience.

Here is my list so far.   Are there any more questions I should be asking
from the start?

1)  What BGA package types and sizes have been placed on deliverable
product?

2)  What quantities have been delivered?

3)  Was there a documented effort that took place to qualify the production
process for BGA product?

4)  Was any outside testing performed on BGA product during initial process
qualification?

5)   Is there any documented procedure that covers introducing a new BGA
package type or size to the production line?

6)   Is there any documented procedure that covers introducing a new
assembly to the production line that has a BGA package?

7)   What type of rework equipment is available for removal and replacement
of BGA packages?

8)   Is a BGA rework process documented?

9)   What inspection methods are used to judge the goodness of BGA placement
and soldering?

10)    Are there documented "acceptable" and "rejectable" criteria for BGA
package placement and soldering?

11)  What process measurements are studied to determine if the BGA placement
and soldering are "in control"?

12)  Are there any special process instructions used for BGA manufacturing?

13)  Are any special receiving inspection criteria in place for BGA
components?

14)   Are there documented component storage criteria for BGA components?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Jeff