TECHNET Archives

September 2001

From:
Jack Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:08:25 -0500
IPC/EIA J-STD-001C says this: 6.4.2.1 Mounting of Parts on Parts (Stacking) When part stacking is permitted by the assembly drawing(s)/documentation, parts shall not violate minimum electrical clearance between other parts or components such as terminals or other chip components.

IPC-HDBK-001 w/Amendment 1 says: Except when required in high frequency applications, stacking of components should not be permitted in initial design. Stacking involves the soldering of surface mount chip components on top or along side of each other. Stacking usually occurs when the existing design must be modified to incorporate additional components on the assembly and the PWB does not permit proper mounting of the device. Stacking should be documented on the assembly drawing. Stacking of resistors on top of each other is not recommended because the resistance of the bottom resistor could be changed by the presence of solder on the deposited element. When resistors are mounted on their sides, the deposited element(s) should be positioned towards the outside. Bridging components across other components is not recommended, as shown in Figure 6-24.

IPC-A-610C is mute about stacking so no visual acceptance criteria; users will have to develop their own.

IPC-2221 says in 8.1.1.3 Surface Mounting: . . . Unless a component or part is specifically designed to accept another part into its configuration, there shall be no stacking (piggybacking) of components or parts (see J-STD-001).

So acceptable is in the eye of the beholder.  Or the designer. Or the user. Or someone that determines that they need to do it for their specific application and documents it by putting it on the drawings.

This is about the best I can elaborate.
Jack

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/27/01 04:22PM >>>
Jack,
Are you saying stacking of components are acceptable? Please elaborate your comments.

re,
Ken Patel