TECHNET Archives

September 2001

From:
"Hiteshew, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 11:44:59 -0400
Neil,

   I couldn't agree more. I noticed it was the Brits who immediately stepped
forward and declared publicly, and in no uncertain terms, that they stood
"..shoulder to shoulder.." with us. That meant a lot to me, as I'm sure it
did to most Americans. Everyone is feeling anguished over this. Those planes
punched through more than the WTC. Somehow they seem to have breeched the
walls to hell, and we can all see in, and we're all revolted by what we see.
  I think we all desperately need to work together on this. This is bigger
than any one nation. We need the help and the collected wisdom of every one
of us to tackle a problem of this global scope - including the British, the
EU, the Canadians, the Asian powers (China, Japan, Korea ...), even the Arab
governments and the South Central Asian Moslem nations (Pakistan,
Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Khazakstan..). They're arguably much closer to the
problem - physically, socially and politically - than any of the Western
powers. If we can't work among ourselves how can we possibly work with those
from such disparate and alien cultures.
  It seems to me the real problem is how to tackle the underlying problem
behind most terrorism - religious and social intolerance. Much of the
senseless violence in the world can be stopped if we can "universalize" that
one concept.

~Mike

PS: For those Americans among us who doubt that these events were felt by
everyone equally, I attach below a portion of a NASA Science News email I
received today.

Science@NASA is based in the United States, but among our many subscribers
are a substantial number of readers from other countries.  In recent days
many of them have written to us expressing their sympathies and horror at
the events of Sept. 11th. Their messages, attached below, reveal how the
heart-breaking loss of life in New York, Washington, D.C., and
Pennsylvania touches everyone. The staff of Science@NASA extend our
heartfelt condolences to the many victims of Tuesday's tragedy, and we
thank our friends overseas for their kind messages of support as we
resume, later today, our regular schedule of scientific story-telling.

TO:  [log in to unmask]
FROM:  [log in to unmask]

Dear Mr. Koczor,

All of us are shocked by the awful events that have occurred yesterday in
New York and in Washington and we wish to extend our sympathy to you and
your colleagues.

If there is any way that we can help, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Inna Mardanyan
Moscow, Russia
****************************
TO: [log in to unmask]
FROM: [log in to unmask]
Dear friends,
Your colleagues from Paleontological Institute of Moscow are with you.
Our sympathy, thoughts and support are yours. And will always be.
Best regards,

Alexei Rzanov, Galina Ushatinskaya, and all colleagues from Moscow
****************************

TO: [log in to unmask]
FROM:  [log in to unmask]

Dear Ron,

We are very sorry and really left astonished and speechless with terrorism
struck US yesterday. We sincerely wish and hope that everything is OK for
you and all the American colleagues and families.
Yours,

Sophia
Athens, Greece
****************************

TO: [log in to unmask]
FROM:  [log in to unmask]
Dear Dr Phillips

As my only point of contact with the United States is through your
science@NASA website, I would like to express my heartfelt condolences to
the American people, our thoughts and prayers especially go out to the
relatives and friends of those who perished in the awful events that
occurred yesterday
Yours Sincerely
Tony Aggett
United Kingdom
*****************************
TO:  [log in to unmask]
FROM: [log in to unmask]

We would like to offer our deepfelt sympathy, concern and prayers to our
friends and colleagues in the US at this dreadful time,

Margaret and Alex Mazzolini
Melbourne, Australia
*****************************

TO: [log in to unmask]
FROM:  [log in to unmask]

We are absolutely shocked by horrible events in the U.S. It is
unbelievable...Accept my condolences...Today our world has changed.   What
will happen to our world?
Take care,
Prof Omarov
Alma Aty, Khazakstan
*****************************

TO: [log in to unmask]
FROM:  [log in to unmask]

As the President of CANADIAN Environmental Science and Research Group and
on behalf of the Team of CESAR Group I would like to send our heart felt
sorrow to those family members who lost relatives in these vicious and
despicable attacks on democracy. God Bless America!

Jack Pender
Canada
*****************************

From: Rafael Cardenas Santacruz
To: [log in to unmask]

Sincere greetings Dr. Koczor, Ron

Together with my family, we feel very sorry for the regrettable incidents
in New York. We are with you with all our hearts.

Rafael Cardenas Santacruz
Scientific Technician
Bogota, Columbia
*****************************

TO: [log in to unmask]
FROM:  [log in to unmask]

In the 1930's Stalin deported and murdered 25,000 Finns that were
peacefully living on the Soviet side of the border. It was a blind terror
action against civilians, a complete ethnical cleaning of the Karelia
county.  Without successful defensive fight in the following winter war
1939 when Stalin tried to invade Finland (5 of my uncles were killed, my
father injured), we would, according to recently discovered documents from
Moscow, all have been deported to Siberia, and I would not sit here and
study your website.

These terrorists try to create a world of that kind. We do not want this
world anymore!
All the best for you in the USA

Jarl
Helsinki, Finland
****************************

Necochea, 11/9/01
TO: [log in to unmask]

NASA:
Hi!, My name is Maria. I am aware of the attack that has been perpetrated
against your country, and I am very sad. I live in Buenos Aires,
Argentina. I am 14 years old and there is not much that I can do to help,
but I profoundly admire you and you have my moral support. I would like to
ask you a favor. Please reach an agreement without wars, but I hope those
responsible are found, so that peace will be extended throughout the
world.
Sincerely,

Maguie.