DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
James Paul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:26:13 -0700
Larry,

Basic FR4 will take 500V per mil theoritically, but in
practical i have used 500 volts design with 25V per
mil gap, ie. use 20 mil space and avoid sharp bends in
the design. strictly provide solder mask and make
provision for electrostatic shielding. Do not try to
create a potential difference of 500 v between
layers(if it is multiu layer) , I prefer DSBs are
better here. Advice the assembly fabricator to put
conformal coat on the assembled board.(polymer coat to
protect the PCB from moisture absorption and protect
the operators/service engineers/ polymer coat will be
very good if the card is going to function in high
humidity environment.).
Regards
James M Paul
PCB Design Engineer.
ISRO Satellite Centre, Bangalore, INDIA.

Larry,