LEADFREE Archives

September 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 15:36:12 EDT
I apologize to every one on the list for my letter, meant to be private, that
was inadvertantly sent to all.
I apolgize to Duane Napp and NCMS for saying their studies are a "waste".  I
am sure there was value, but they haven't made them freely available, so we
can't be sure how much value, discussed below.

In a private letter, it is possible to use shorthand that will be understood,
in the context of previous communication .  That doesn't always work in
public.

But I do reserve the right to be critical.  Why don't they make their work
more public, after such a lavish $19M subsidy?  Did they really do any work
that showed that lead in solder is an environmental hazard? Did they study
recycling logistics for lead in used equipment? The world will have to
dispose of hundreds of millions used electronic equipments containing
tin-lead solder.

They say nothing about recycling infrastructure studies.

Toxicity was investigated for alternative alloys (it is claimed) , but what
about bioavailabity-- much more important.
They seem to have accepted lead-free solder as a given, without question.
Obedience to possibly misguided directives had higher priority than
scientific investigation.

Harvey Miller