LEADFREE Archives

September 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 19:46:43 EDT
Thanks, Kay, for your unambiguous statement of the Precautionary Principle
and it application to lead in solder

In searching joint references, I found 1998 documents that referred to pp,
but no full statement.  In 1992 meeting, a list of "hazardous substances"
included silver, copper, zinc, as well as lead.

It was interesting to note that lead-free roots go back to the oil spill of
the Torrey Canyon (1967) and the Stella Maris aborted attempt to dump
chlorinated solvents in the North Sea (1971).  The heightened environmental
concsiousness unleashed then has come very, very far. It seems that all good
social movements must be carried to ridiculous excess. It's another Principle
(of history, society, and the human creature).

The 1992 document seemed very reasonable in its sensitivity to scientific
evidence and economic impacts.  Whatever happened to change that
reasonableness ?

But even the 1998 document aimed at 2020 for elimination of hazardous
substance releases, not 2004 or 2008 or 2006 or 2007.  (I think I have right
chronolology order for date changes-- so far.)
Again, what happened?

Can anyone direct me to the correct original reference to the Precautionary
Principle?

By the way there is scientific "evidence" for environmental toxic impacts of
all the metals mentioned.  A case might be made for persistence and
bioaccumulation for silver,copper, zinc.  Ban them all?  Or recycle?

Harvey Miller