DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:35:11 +0200
7BIT
From:
Matthias Mansfeld <[log in to unmask]>
On 24 Sep 01 at 15:24, Bates Karl wrote:

> Designers,
> Did you ever wonder why component manufacturers don't supply you
> with footprint and schematic symbols in a electronic data format
> file.
[....]
> Let's say distribute it in a GENCAM or DXF type database that could
> be imported into any CAD system?   Even Component vendors could
> source a common database (instead of the component companies each
> creating their own). What a wonderful world it would be ! Just
> dreamin'

The problem with formats like DXF is, every CAD system has its own
way to (mis)interpret DXF files. Been there, done that (AutoCAD vs.
CAM350 vs. CadStar vs. ULTIboard). GENCAM would be a solution, but
then all CAD users/vendors must standardize a MINIMAL layer set which
describes the footprint completely AND can easily be split into
whichever buzz'n'beep special layers from your or my inhouse
standards.

Just my 0,02 EUR

Regards Matthias Mansfeld