TECHNET Archives

August 2001

From:
Richard Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:08:02 -0700
Praveen,

Good question. From my viewpoint it depends on the targeted results of AOI.
In a past life we did post paste as well as post reflow. Of course the
theory of getting information earlier in the process being the best course
of action can only be advisory when you ask either one or the other.

With what you have asked here, I would prefer the post reflow. My thinking
is that you seem to already be OK with the paste process, and if you have
the placement process pretty well nailed down the the latter of the two
locations would be a better bet because it allows you to validate a good
total process. Whereas if it is before reflow you don't get a good
'picture' of what is happening in reflow. Now if you put it post reflow and
find a lot of problems, then you could always move it to pre reflow to help
determine the real cause.

Of course the opposite is true also in that if you place it pre reflow and
don't see problems but there seems to be problems later in the process,
then post reflow might help a bit.

Probably the best action is to decide on one place and see what you get.
Personally, if the paste printing, placement and any other process prior to
reflow seem to be in check, I would prefer to look at the finished product.

Good luck.

Richard Hamilton