TECHNET Archives

August 2001

From:
Graham Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 07:40:08 -0400
Hi Bill!
Cleaning out the old email I ran across this.  I'm wondering if you had any replies to this that helped you?  We are using Loctite 3609 right now in volume, and are actually getting into using 3615 because I do not like the results of reflow curing 3609.  We have some odd capacitors that have SMT leads on one end only, so we bond the other end to stop it from flapping (the board goes into a tank, so a pretty nasty environment).

By not being "thermal" are you saying the 3615 does not soften if you re-heat it?  I haven't had to do any rework of these yet, although I'm guessing we would just snap them off the board anyway.

regards

Graham Collins
Process Engineer, Litton Systems Canada, Atlantic Facility
(902) 873-2000 ext 6215

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/19/01 10:03AM >>>
Hi All,

I am looking for an SMT adhesive with the following characteristics:

1.      1 part
2.      Dispensible
3.      Thermal (not sure of a number here)
4.      Snap cure (re-flow)
5.      Re-workable
6.      Extended work life (prefer several days)
7.      Will not lift parts during cure in re-flow oven)

Please tell me I'm not asking for much.  We are presently using LocTite 3615
which dispenses great, but happens not to be a "thermal" adhesive and is not
reworkable.  And, unfortunately, we have not matured enough to learn from
our mistakes and get rid of re-work.  Or even keep it to a minimum, but that
is a story in itself.

I would like to "stick" with a large company with plenty of resources, e.g.
LocTite.  Any reccommendations?

Thanks for any info you can give,

Bill Mengers
Process Engineer