TECHNET Archives

August 2001

From:
Seth Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 23:23:04 -0500
I have also seen the problem with decreased solder mask adhesion to the
board.  Our board vendor had to switch solder masks and print two passes of
it to effectively cover the board (I have no idea why two passes were
required).  The results were good except for the matte finish of the new
mask, which we are afraid will ultimately pick up more contaminants than the
very shiny finish of the original mask.  Does anyone have any specific
recommendations for a solder mask that is compatible with white tin
processing and has a smooth surface finish?

Our actual goal is lowest SIR and highest reliability over the long term
(10+ years).  The environment is a medical laboratory so it is very benign
and we specify class 2 performance.  This is an FR-4 board, 4-layer, 0.062"
thick, 1 oz. copper per layer, SMOBC:  no rocket science here.

Regards,

Seth Goodman
Goodman Associates, LLC
tel 608.833.9933