TECHNET Archives

August 2001

From:
"Roger M. Stoops" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:33:49 -0400
Steve is right.

I forgot to mention what I learned from the TechNet archives.  Was up late
doing but what else? board design at home.  I digress..   A rule fo thumb
to use to prevent embrittlement is that the volume of Au in a typical
solder joint should never exceed 2%.

For 10 microinches of Au, you need at least 0.005" of solder to prevent
this from happening.  Hence the desire to use a thin Au plate.  Flash
plating is better for soldering to (something in the range of 2 to 4
microinches).  Ryan mentioned that time is also a factor; the less time at
reflow temps the less Au distribution in the solder joint.  If vendor can't
do it with edge fingers in 30 u-in Au,  tell 'em build to the print please.

New one about the voiding issue, have to keep that in mind.  We learn
something new every day here, including new bouncing babies.  Congrats to
Ryan (should have TN contest for most creative name...)

Also, belated thanks to all the contributors to TechNet.  You
guys/gals/other are just super !

Roger M. Stoops, C.I.D., PCB Designer

Trimble
Engineering and Construction Division
5475 Kellenburger Rd.
Dayton, OH 45424-1099 USA
Ph: +01 937.233.8921 or +01 937.233.4574 ext 288
Fax: +01 937.233.7511

                    Steve
                    Abrahamson           To:     [log in to unmask]
                    <sabrahamson@        cc:
                    MCMS.COM>            Subject:     Re: [TN] Solder vs Gold Pads on SMT
                    Sent by:
                    TechNet

                    08/21/01
                    12:02 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "TechNet
                    E-Mail
                    Forum."

Yes it is impossible to solder effectively to 30 micro inches of gold.  15
micro inches is also very difficult to solder to.  I believe the voiding
mechanism is refered to as Kirkindall voiding, although I was unable to
confirm this in any of my books.
Not to drift off the point here, but I was not that interested in replying
on this topic as much as I am interested in what the heck Ryan Grant is
doing replying to this topic.

RYAN, you do not show up for work yesterday because your wife is in labor.
Perhaps you might notify your friends at work- heck and even the guys on
the
technet about the birth announcement of your child.  I understand the
importance of proper gold thickness and all, but C'MON man.  Was it a boy
and did you name him after me?  Maybe out of respect to the technet and
your
colleagues, you should name the child Dilbert, or even APEX.

Steve A

Please visit IPC web site (http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm) for
additional