TECHNET Archives

August 2001

From:
Greg Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 08:58:04 -0700
Dougal,

I have no experience with 0201 but for
 0402 used  on Flex Circuits  I use .025x .024 , pads spaced .036  from center of pad to
center of pad.
Then cover the .025 end with .005 of  kapton.  So you are left with .020x.024 exposed pad.
This was a very tight design and we shrank pad sizes on all chip components.
0402 used on Rigid boards I use .028 x.028, pads spaced on .050 center.

check out IPC-SM-782  Surface Mount Design and Land Pattern Standard.  October 1996
IPC has greatly improved their formula for land pattern design.  For the most part we use the
standard.
Only when density really pushes us to investigate smaller pads do we deviate.

Regards,

Greg Scott
Cray Inc.