TECHNET Archives

August 2001

From:
Charles Caswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 13:09:28 -0500
I would recommend a functional. After all you have just taken something
out of a working assembly. I would discuss this with the customer
though. With that many boards the cost is something they might want to
consider. Maybe test just a few to validate the design change. As for
the exposed copper I guess some may want it covered but I know of no
requirement unless it comes from the customer. The only argument I can
see as far as IPC/J-STD would be that the leads were cut after soldering
and would normally require reflow or inspection at 10X. I would argue
against the reflow as the lead is going to try to come out of the hole
and could cause a problem. The 10X insp. would also be superfluous in my
opinion.
Charles Caswell