TECHNET Archives

August 2001

From:
Graham Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:04:58 -0400
John
You don't mention what class your product is.

If I was faced with this sort of rework, I would go with the cut and remove, but would not worry about the exposed copper.  The lead can have exposed copper on the other end (per 610, figure 4-18) so why on earth would one worry about the cut off part?  I'd just cut off the part on topside and leave the bottom side alone.

As for testing, we build class 3, so if someone looks at a board while holding a tool we tend to retest it.  After any sort of rework - retest is mandatory.  If you are building less mission critical sorts of things maybe you can avoid it, my preference would be to test it though.  And you say it's part of a mod -  does the rest of the mod need to be tested?

But it comes down to what your customer's needs are (since they will likely end up paying for it) and what they are willing to pay for.

Good luck!

regards

Graham Collins
Process Engineer, Litton Systems Canada, Atlantic Facility
(902) 873-2000 ext 6215

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/20/01 02:47PM >>>
Thanks Phil and George. Good Points so far.

Our customer does not specify bout the bare copper. However, I am greatly
concerned about IPC requirements/standards in terms of removing these caps.

In addition, these are finished assemblies so is it recommended to put these
units back through a functional test after removal of these capacitors?

Thanks,
John

John Fahey
Manufacturing Engineer