TECHNET Archives

August 2001

From:
Craig Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:56:26 -0400
Technetters,

I want to thank Andrews, Brian and Doug for their feedback on wetting
agents. I would like to stir up just a little more discussion on this issue.

I have seen indications that for flux to be on a military qualified products
list (QPL), it should be halogen and polyglycol-free. Based on some
discussions I have reviewed, this could be because polyglycol, or "bad"
polyglycol, can lead to an increase in current leakage on assemblies.
However, has anyone come across experimental evidence that polyglycol, or
other wetting agents, can greatly accelerate corrosion of eutectic solder?
Trying to see if my testing is out of wack or if I'm measuring a real
mechanism.

Best Regards
Craig