TECHNET Archives

August 2001

From:
Francois Monette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:25:05 -0400
Nancy,

As some colleagues have already pointed out, the moisture sensitivity
information should be found on a label on the dry bag as specified by the
industry standard. Ref: Joint IPC/JEDEC J-STD-033 standard (Standard for
Handling, Packing, Shipping and Use of Moisture/Reflow Sensitive Surface
Mount Devices).

The current method is actually a big issue in the industry since all
information is lost as soon as you open the bags to use the components. Of
course in most cases the user will open new bags just before loading the
components on the SMT line. However, in any production environment where
there is a regular changeover, there are always a significant number of
partial trays and reels that must be removed from the line, temporarily
placed in dry storage and re-used later. This is where the identification
issue becomes more challenging. It is further complicated by the fact that
the user must keep track of the complete history of exposure time for each
tray and reel to determine when the MS components will exceed their maximum
floor life.

The ideal situation would be to have all the necessary component and process
information attached directly to the lowest-level container. The joint
IPC/JEDEC committee has previously looked into the possible options for
labelling the lowest level container (tray, tube or reel). However, because
of space constraints the conclusion was that it was not possible to put a
label on some of these containers.

My company has been working on a solution to this moisture sensitive
component identification issue for a few years now and I would be pleased to
give you more details in an offline discussion if you are interested.

Francois Monette
Cogiscan Inc.
50 De Gaspe, Suite A5
Bromont, Quebec, Canada, J2L 2N8