TECHNET Archives

August 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:59:44 +0300
Grant

This is controversial. Dewetting is caused by myriad non-wettable areas,
most commonly because abrasive particles are implanted in the metal.
IMHO, this means that intermetallic formation is discontinuous and the
joint will be weaker. Whether the loss of strength is important or not
is more academic than real life, but my view is that everything should
be done to maximise strength. Also, if you permit it, where do you start
to draw the line?

Brian