TECHNET Archives

August 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 19:27:08 +0300
Craig

Polyethylene glycols were identified c. 1979 by the long-regretted Frank
Zado to cause a potential drop of insulation resistance. Jack Brous and
Bob Turnbull of Alpha did some further research on the phenomenon and
published a paper showing that different PEGs and other glycols and
derivatives had very different effects, the high MW PEGs being worst and
some being practically harmless. The mechanism was a combination of two
phenomena, the opening of pores on substrates at temperatures > Tg and
the lipophilic "ends" of molecules hydrogen-bonding with material in the
pores, which then trapped them in, leaving the hydrophilic ends exposed
to attract water (graphic description): I think I was possibly among the
first to hypothesise this, which was later confirmed by others.

It is a pure electrical problem, not a question of corrosion, although a
drop of SIR can aid this, as well. (I prefer a drop of Doug's Mountain
Dew).

Brian