LEADFREE Archives

August 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Lawrence J Dungan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:10:21 -0700
Lee provides some interesting points upon which to ponder.

Of course, reliability and quality issues provide the main basis for the
proposed exemptions on selected products--Automotive, Avionics, Servers,
Telecom Equipment, Medical Devices, etc.

One may reasonably expect many quality issues to proliferate during the
conversion of consumer goods to lead-free.
There is quite a lack of experience with Pb-free solders and the new
component materials needed to withstand higher reflow temperatures, etc.
There can be a huge difference in results between by the failure of a
mini-DVD music player and failures in avionics or medical devices.

It makes sense to let the consumer industry handle the high development
costs associated with developing these new processes, qualifying the new
materials, training, etc. and develop quality/reliability data before
critical components convert.

Some product lines are very expensive and it is unlikely that the product
line will be able to switch back and forth between no-Pb and Pb production.
Therefore, as Lee notes, once these suppliers convert a product or process
to Pb-free, the Pb production will no longer be available.

The question remains whether markets will support higher costs associated
with Pb-free products.