LEADFREE Archives

August 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:35:12 +0300
Gordon

Just a few SHORT rejoinders

1. In some places lead crystal tableware is forbidden for sale. Tests
have shown that drinks with a low pH do leach out lead in potentially
harmful quantities, although I'm unable to quote chapter and verse
without research.
2. Lead is forbidden in pewter tableware in most countries for the same
reason. To the best of my knowledge, no pewter founders/manufacturers
use lead in any of their products, now.
3. As has been shown in Germany, recycling TV tube faceplates is easy
and economical, so why chuck them away? At the same time, the highly
toxic phosphors are collected and disposed of correctly, which is not a
case with landfill disposal.
4. Most TV tubes in a landfill are shattered by the weight of vehicles,
presenting an enormous surface area of lead glass per tube. Lead glass
is notoriously water-soluble so that there will certainly be more lead
in run-off waters than from e.g., solder from the same TV sets. Note
that I am not equating that with a proven hazard but there MAY be a risk
which this measure will economically eliminate.
5. What's the problem?

Brian