LEADFREE Archives

August 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Lee Whiteman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 16:02:24 -0400
Lynn,

Is there any published data to support your claims on product reliability
with SnAgCu? What type of components did you test? I (and others) would be
very interested in this type of information.

Concerning aerospace, my impression is that aerospace manufacturers will go
Pb-Free after the consumer markets go Pb-Free. While several companies and
research institutions are looking into Pb-Free, the aerospace and military
electronics industry is not aggressively investigating Pb-Free (as far as I
can observe). But this lack of pursuit introduces an interesting problem...

Aerospace (military and aerospace electronics manufacturers) represents less
than 1% of the electronics manufacturing market...

Assuming that consumer electronics goes Pb-Free, will the component
manufacturers still provide SnPb finished components for military and
aerospace electronics manufacturers?  If a substantial percentage of that
market is Pb-Free, will that drive / force the military and aerospace
electronics community to go Pb-Free? How will this impact the introduction
of COTS hardware to military and aerospace electronics community? And will
the military and aerospace electronics community be prepared to go Pb-Free
if SnPb is no longer available? What are the logistical and sustainment
issues concerning introducing Pb-Free to the military and aerospace
electronics community?

These issue impact the technical and non-technical aspects of the Aerospace
community, but little has been said. Any comments?

Lee Whiteman
Senior Manufacturing Engineer
E-Mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Ph: (610) 362-1200 x208
Fax: (610) 362-1290