LEADFREE Archives

August 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Edward Szpruch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:34:37 +0200
Bev,
This point just emphasise why electronic industry is target of "lead free
cruisade".
Car industry and avionic industry are far too strong to fight them.I do not
believe,that all "green activist" are strong enough to impose changes in
aircraft enginees technology to operate on lead free fuel.
Apart of it : I am just wondering about results of monitoring  car
batteries.On theoretical base each car battery should be shipped for
recycling,this includes replaced batteries and batteries from cars out of
usage ( both used car and wracked cars junk-yards) , it means the "net
balance" of batteries manufacturing should be equal just to net grows in
number of cars on the roads.This is the reality???I do not believe.

As PCB manufacturer I can state, that because of "internal reasons" PCB
industry is on the way of reducing lead "content" more than 15 years
regardless of environmental problems.The real trigger for this was demand
for more dense circuitry : it started with SMOBC technology (Solder Mask
Over bare Copper) - just 15 years ago all circuitry on PCB was tin-lead
electroplated and reflowed , than  solder mask was applied on reflowed
tin-lead on conductors.As circuitry began to be more and more dense ( less
line/spaces distance),this technology was replaced by SMOBC .Then with SMD
came with request for flat pads and this resulted non-HASL finishing.At
least from point of view of bare PCB I might state,that the PCB industry is
almost ready for "lead free" and the point of interest moved to assembly
area ( soldering pastes).
I wrote in my private e-mail to Gordon Dave,that I am suspecting,that
database lead contribution from electronic industry is completly outdated.On
the begining of 90 SMOBC technology was minority.

Finally, I believe,that electronic industry it the target of "lead free"
cruisade just because we are easy target and not because we are the main
contributor to lead contamination.
Edward

Edward Szpruch
Eltek , Manager of Process Engineering
P.O.Box 159 ; 49101 Petah Tikva Israel
Tel  ++972 3 9395050 , Fax  ++972 3 9309581
e-mail   [log in to unmask]