LEADFREE Archives

August 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:19:47 +0300
Kay

I agree that we are overwhelmed by great amounts of unnecessary
chemicals. But I do not want the Danish EPA, or any other authority, to
tell me what THEY consider unnecessary. Please let me decide for myself,
but give me the choice. For example, I would buy unperfumed toiletries
(except for perfume, after-shave and such-like, of course, which are
primarily designed to "pong good"), when possible. But the crunch comes
that unperfumed articles are often more expensive than perfumed ones,
presumably because they are considered a niche market. Why is bleached
white flour cheaper than wholemeal (and their corresponding breads)? Why
is tasteless white sugar cheaper than unrefined sugar, with a good
flavour? And where do we draw the line? If you wish to legislate, make
it that it be illegal to sell unperfumed, unrefined goods at a higher
price than the corresponding perfumed or refined ones. I feel that if
they were offered more freely, the demand would rise (cf. so-called
"organic" foods that sell well, despite a higher price, compared to
E-xxx laden ones which one can hardly term 'inorganic', unless it's a
packet of salt or a bottle of mineral water). I recently tried to buy a
half-necessary cosmetic, a roll-on anti-perspirant, without an
unnecessary perfume: I tried the four largest supermarket chains on the
island and three pharmacies. Not one had a single bottle of the stuff.
So, if perfumed socks take off, I can foresee unperfumed ones may become
unavailable. In the case of socks, this wouldn't matter much: mine
become perfumed after a single day! :-(

Brian