LEADFREE Archives

August 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Bastin, Ann" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:21:52 -0700
Hello, Philip.
About 20 years ago, I inherited a process to tin dip component leads. I used
an agressive water soluble flux and finished with water wash and a
neutralizer. The component leads were dipped in a still pot. Emmersion rate
and pot temperature were controlled variables. I had two problems. The first
was that the high volume of parts to be coated caused intermetallic needles
to appear in the plate within a few days operation. Needles could be
temporarily controlled by lowering pot temperature just above melting point
and scooping out precipitated needles. This was a major nuisance and left
the pot near saturation. Steam floatation was recommended but proved too
dangerous for production. As I recall we were coating about 4 million
leads/week (about 670,000 wire feet)in a 200 lb pot. Much too small.
The second problem, which was of lesser consequence was that the coating was
uneven on the wire. Thickness ranged from maybe 50 micro-in to 2 mils on the
same wire. The geometry of the parts was ideal and no experimentation with
process parameters solved the problem. An associate reported the same
results in previous attempts to coat this way. I don't recall solderability
problems reported for components after storage but then customers had lower
expectations for solderability at that time.
Hope this is of some benefit.