LEADFREE Archives

August 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:30:24 +0300
Kay

Whereas I am not against the precautionary principle, it can be applied
ONLY if there is an a priori case to show that a product or a process
may be hazardous either to life or the environment. Otherwise, we could
close every factory in the world. The only reasonable manner of
establishing such a case would be to have expert scientists to conduct a
literature search and, failing the discovery of a reasonable presumptive
argument, then conduct a risk assessment.

Let me cite a case of which I have deep personal knowledge. I co-chair a
task force charged by the Parties to the Montreal Protocol to study
n-propyl bromide (nPB), a controversial solvent used, inter alia, for
cleaning electronics assemblies. The actual affect of this substance on
the ozone layer is still unknown, as the mechanism is different to other
ozone-depleting substances, such as CFCs. The Parties cannot therefore
introduce it into the list of controlled substances until the
atmospheric scientists have completed their modelling (possibly next
year). There is, nevertheless presumptive evidence that it may be a
considerable danger to the ozone layer, but depending on its place of
emission (unlike CFCs). Even worse, there is increasing evidence that
nPB may be quite toxic and therefore unsuitable as a cleaning solvent
unless extreme precautions are taken (some authorities, including one
manufacturer, puts it more or less on a par with carbon tetrachloride,
which was banned for solvent use in most countries 40 or more years
ago). I presented a report to the Open Ended Working Group of the
Parties last month, recommending that the precautionary principle could
be applied on the combined grounds of toxicity and potential effect on
the ozone layer, by means of a Decision (as opposed to an Amendment,
required for introducing a new controlled substance) stating a
recommendation to Parties not to use the substance until further
evidence is forthcoming. This recommendation was not adopted by the
OEWG, despite some support, on the grounds of insufficient knowledge. My
personal view is that this was possibly a mistake as I consider there is
sufficient scientific evidence to warrant such a measure, but the UN
cannot afford to make such a recommendation and then have the
manufacturers on their backs if it later proves the substance is
harmless. This is their privilege.

Another case in which I'm involved is trichloroethylene. This has been
given a compromise EU labelling requirement on the flimsiest pretext of
a flawed epidemiological study in a single member-state. Yet, fully
documented and multiple studies with large cohorts have been conducted
in many other countries, demonstrating that the member-state's
conclusions are totally erroneous. Yet the labelling would have one
think that the substance is much more dangerous than it is, as
categorically proven. This is the precautionary principle gone mad, the
complete opposite to the nPB case.

You already know my views on lead in solder, so I won't expound them
again, other than to say that WEEE is another case of the precautionary
principle gone mad on the grounds that there is no a priori scientific
case to suppose there is a danger and that the resultant environmental
harm may be worse than the "cure".

Brian