LEADFREE Archives

August 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Tetsuro Nishimura <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 09:42:02 +0900
Dear Harvey,

My response to your question about whether  I "would you fly in an airplane
whose black boxes are lead-free or use a pacemaker (that is lead-free)"
would
be, "Certainly".

The laboratory results indicate that the Sn-Ag-Cu system (and the Sn-Cu)
system is stronger in all respects than the Sn-Pb alloys they replace and
the
experience with commercial products that have been in the field for nearly
two years seems to confirm that.    This is particularly the case in regard
to thermal fatigue, possibly the main cause of failure in electronic
circuitry, where the lead-free alloys have a much longer life.

In regard to the possible consequences of an encounter between the Sn-Cu
binary eutectic alloy and the Sn-Ag-Cu ternary eutectic alloy I would say
that the worst that could happen is that you would get an alloy that lay
somewhere along the "valley" on the liquidus surface of the
three-dimensional
ternary phase diagram, between these two eutectics.   The resulting mixture
would have a melting point somewhere between 217C and 227C and its
mechanical
properties should be somewhere in between also, which means they are going
be generally better than those of a Sn-Pb alloy.

In regard to whether lead-free solders are being used, as I have already
mentioned in another recent contribution to this forum, my company's
lead-free solders are being used in commercial production at some 30 sites
around Japan and Asia with some lines having been running for nearly two
years.   There are more than 14 million individual electronic products
manufactured with our solders out in the market with more added every day.

As to whether any solder makers are making any money, the solder industry
has
made a massive investment in research and development over the past ten
years
since the possibility of a change to lead-free was first mooted.    Whether
they will ever make a net profit on that investment will depend on whether
the solder users will be prepared to pay a fair price for the lead-free
solders.   Most of the increased price for lead-free solders compared with
tin-lead solders is to cover the increased cost of replacing cheap lead with
expensive tin and (in some cases) silver.

Certainly the manufacturers of reflow ovens should do well selling machines
that can provide the more sophisticated thermal profiles required for reflow
of lead-free solders at minimum peak temperatures.   And all soldering
machine manufacturers should benefit from their customers' need for tighter
process control when using lead-free materials.

Regards
Tetsuro Nishimura
Executive Director
Nihon Superior Co Ltd

西村哲郎           Tetsuro Nishimura
取 役              Executive Director
㈱日本スペリア社  Nihon Superior Co.,Ltd.
〒564‐0063 吹田市江坂町1‐16‐15
16-15, Esakacho 1chome, Suita, Osaka, 564-0063
TEL : +81-(0)6-6380-1121
FAX : +81-(0)6-6380-1262
E-mail : [log in to unmask]
HP : http://www.nihonsuperior.co.jp