LEADFREE Archives

August 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 15:46:34 +0300
Keith

Thanks for this comprehensive and interesting information. I'm coming
back to you on the lower dross formation. Do you ascribe the lower
weight to less metal in the mix (as you mention), the lower density of
the alloy or that a smaller number of atoms, at the wave surface, are
actually oxidising (or a combination)? Also, have you analysed the dross
to find out whether > eutectic proportions of copper are oxidising? If
this were the case, then it may be that the copper content would tend to
auto-stabilisation, promoting longer pot lifes.

Coming back to your earlier post, you mentioned using a flux with a
relatively high solids content by modern standards. In this post, and
others, you mention double-wave machines with higher preheat. Surely,
with this combination, the use of low-solids or even medium solids (~5 -
~8%) would be almost out of the question as there would be precious
little flux left to aid the peelback on exiting the smooth wave. Would
you agree?

Long time no hear from you!

Best regards,

Brian