LEADFREE Archives

August 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Keith Sweatman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 05:14:00 EDT
Hi Harvey,

In regard to the question in the first paragraph of your e-mail, the answer
is, as far as I understand the situation, that lead batteries are treated
separately as they are easily removed from a car in one piece and a very
efficient and effective industry for the recycling of the lead in these
batteries is in place in most countries in the world.   Because of the
relative simplicity of their construction the lead in lead acid batteries is
virtually 100% recycled.    I think that the problem with the lead in the
solder of electronic circuitry is that its recovery and recycling, although
technically possible, is more difficult and expensive.   That is why an extra
cost is imposed on the disposal/recycling of products containing electronic
circuitry assembled with lead-containing solder.

In regard to the question in the second paragraph of your e-mail, I will
respond separately as I would like to attach a few images of some typical
boards that are being wave soldered with the lead-free solder I mentioned in
my earlier e-mail.

Regards
Keith Sweatman