TECHNET Archives

July 2001

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 17:35:07 -0400
The word "all" is in Section 5.4 of J-STD-001C requires that the storage
conditions must not degrade the solderability any of the various types of
components used in the manufacturing sequences. The manufacturer is
responsible to know this is the case not just for lugs and terminals, for
example, but also for PWBs (including those protected by the various
alternatives to tin-lead), and components. This requirement also extends to
materials that have been issued from stores to the floor in large quantities
and may sit in a different environment from the stockroom.

I believe that J-STD-002A supports this position. Consider this excerpt from
Section 1.2: Determination of solderability can be made at the time of
manufacture, at receipt of the components by the user, or just before
assembly and soldering. Section 1.4 Coating Durability provides the user
with the opportunity to express requirements to vendors.

Category 1 - Intended for surfaces which will be soldered within a short
period of time (e.g., up to six months) from the time of testing and are
likely to experience a minimum of thermal exposures before soldering.

Category 2- Intended for surfaces finished with other than Sn or Sn/Pb
coatings which will be soldered after an extended time from the time of
testing and which may see limited thermal exposures before soldering.

Category 3- Intended for surfaces finished with Sn or Sn/Pb coatings which
will be soldered after an extended storage.

Why develop a set of solderability tests that ensure solderability for many
months and then set a requirement demanding re-testing at the time of use?

Granted, Section 5.8 of J-STD-002A admits that the tests can not accurately
predict storage life. It remains clear to me that the intent of the authors
of the standards was to provide maximum flexibility and minimum requirements
for testing.

Guy Ramsey
Senior Lab Technician / Instructor

E-Mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Ph: (610) 362-1200 x107
Fax: (610) 362-1290