TECHNET Archives

July 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:29:15 +0300
Peter,

Doug's answer is correct, but I'd like to add a few kopeck's worth. You
should find out why halogenated solvents are not usable, because it may
mean that SOME other solvents, including water, is also not usable.

1. Halogenated solvents attack or are otherwise incompatible with
constructional materials: in this case, pure aqueous systems may be
usable, but anything involving any other organic solvent would require
compatibility testing beforehand.

2. Halogenated solvents may cause a chemical reaction which would
destroy an unsealed aluminium electrolytic capacitor, after several
months of service. Only fully sealed, epoxy capped electrolytics should
be used. However, the problem cannot occur with non-halogenated organic
solvents or aqueous systems.

3. Lubrication of mechanical parts may be with a grease that is
dissolved in halogenated solvents but can withstand aqueous systems.
Compatibility with other organic solvents may be OK, but should be
tested.

4. Solvent enters interstices from which it cannot readily escape and
long-term residues may affect insulation in wound components or some
capacitor types. This is a very real problem and can affect the
reliability or the component characteristics with any cleaning method.

As a rule, most components are obtainable in solvent-resistant types,
but may cost more. Generally, the extra cost is cheaper than having to
add components manually, after cleaning. You are quite right to ask
these questions.

Brian