TECHNET Archives

July 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 14:56:51 +0300
Suresh

IMHO, your problem is most likely related to the cleanliness of the bare boards and other components, assuming you
have chosen your "no-clean" products sensibly and after due qualification. There is no sure-fire way of detecting the
cause of the problem. A hygroscopic contaminant may be ionic or non-ionic. If the former, then the Omega Meter (or
other instrument) will detect it. If the latter, you can test for ever and still obtain no reliable indication. In reality, you will
possibly find that it is a mixture of both types and possibly a combination with the substrate and its finish. SIR testing or,
better still, ECMR testing will be OK for qualifying your process, but there is no production test available.

I recommend systematic testing by a well-qualified lab (in-house or consultant) who can identify where contaminants are
coming from, what they are and how they can be rendered harmless. Having done that, you will need to make sure that
the same problem cannot be repeated by developing a simple in-house testing procedure. If you do not have the
necessary resources, call in outside help.

Brian