TECHNET Archives

July 2001

From:
"Marsico, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 07:56:07 -0400
Being a military contractor, most of our contracts are still to MIL-STD-2000
or our own internal specification which mirrors 2000.  For many years we've
been toying with the idea of switching to J-STD-001, but the same problem
keeps reoccurring, paragraph 5.4.  Being on the IPC Soldering Task Group, I
once tried to have 5.4 amended to include something like a history of having
no solderability problems is an acceptable means of ensuring that the
components are solderable at the start of the soldering process.  This
request was denied... I forget the justification.

Well, here we are, not performing solderability tests at Receiving
Inspection, not storing our parts in dry nitrogen or a controlled
environment, not ensuring that the parts are solderable at the start of the
soldering processes, but not having ANY solderability issues.  (We've been
using OA flux for about 6 years now and I can't recall any soldering defects
which were attributed to solderability.)  Yet, we can't officially claim to
be able to meet the requirements of J-STD-001!  So, we continue to request
that our internal workmanship document be included on contracts in lieu of
any industry (or government) standards.

It seems like many have an interpretation problem with paragraph 5.4.  The
handbook isn't very helpful either with regard to this paragraph.  Perhaps
revisiting the solderability requirements (and solderability maintenance)
should be considered for the next revision of J-STD-001.

Jim Marsico
Senior Engineer
Production Engineering
EDO Electronics Systems Group