TECHNET Archives

July 2001

From:
Kathy Kuhlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 11:14:33 -0500
Problems I have seen with pre-washing prior to assembly are when the cleaning process is not  monitored and you end up with more contaminates then what was there to begin with.  Or even handling issues from adding more touching of the product.

Over the years and all of the tests I have performed I have found very few lots that came from a PCB shop that didn't meet IPC-J-STD cleanliness requirements.  The only exception was a supplier that did not understand the cleanliness requirements.

Why not sample test on receiving and enforcing a cleanliness spec to the PCB supplier? Do you also pre-bake the PCB's prior to use?  What enviromental controls do you have to prevent further deterioration?  What do the line operators do with these nice clean boards?  Do they use gloves, edge handling only, etc?

Kathy

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" http-equiv=Content-Type> <META content="MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=GENERATOR></HEAD> <BODY style="FONT: 10pt Haettenschweiler; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px"> <DIV>Problems I have seen with pre-washing prior to assembly are when the cleaning process is not monitored and you end up with more contaminates then what was there to begin with.&nbsp; Or even handling issues from adding more touching of the product.&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Over the years and all of the tests I have performed I have found very few lots that came from a PCB shop that didn't meet IPC-J-STD cleanliness requirements.&nbsp; The only exception was a supplier that did not understand the cleanliness requirements.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Why not sample test on receiving and enforcing a cleanliness spec to the PCB supplier?&nbsp;Do you also pre-bake the PCB's prior to use?&nbsp; What enviromental controls do you have to prevent further deterioration?&nbsp; What do the line operators do with these nice clean boards?&nbsp; Do they use gloves, edge handling only, etc?&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Kathy </DIV></BODY></HTML>