TECHNET Archives

July 2001

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:07:03 -0400
J-STD-001C 5.2 Solderablity: Electronic/mechanical components and wires to
be soldered shall meet the requirements of J-STD-002 or equivalent . . .  I
do not see a requirement for 100% solderability testing. I am not a
proponent of 100% solderability testing.

I submit that the standard requires you to "know" that the part you intend
to use in production be solderable as defined in J-STD-002. I believe you
can "know" this through statistical methods and sampling.

I set up a sampling plan for our board suppliers that specified sampling by
date code. So, in the case where our supplier manufactured many different
part numbers our testing requirements were reduced. We found the system to
be effective (identified defective product and minimized inspection and
test), and our customers approved the system.

I think the part of the standard that might be getting you is 5.4
Soderability Maintenance:  . . . ensure that all componets, parts, leads,
wiring . . . are solderable.

But, I interpert this paragraph as addressing storage and handling. It does
not mention testing or inspection. This paragrah requires the manufacturer
to "know" that storage and handling has not degraded the components to be
soldered.

The end item acceptability criteria in the J-STD-001 and IPC-A-610 assume
that the materials and methods used conform to the requirements of the
standard. This is not a version of process control it is a prerequisite for
compliance.

A means by which we can provide assurance is SPC, rather than 100%
inspection. One of the four essential techniques in Statistical Quality
Control (from the Western Electric Handbook, 1956 based on Shewhart's work)
is Statistical Sampling Inspection.

Guy Ramsey
Senior Lab Technician / Instructor

E-Mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Ph: (610) 362-1200 x107
Fax: (610) 362-1290