TECHNET Archives

July 2001

From:
Ed Valentine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ed Valentine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:27:25 -0400
Cathy -

If I am not mistaken, I believe you mean an Ionic Wash. If that is what you
are referring to, then the term refers to using deionized water in one or
more of the final rinses in a water cleaning system. The basic idea of the
deionized rinse is to attract and remove ionized contamination that is left
on the board. The process is not required if you have a "No Clean" process.

The basic purpose of using a "No Clean" process is to meet the desired
standards without having to go through a cleaning process. A 'No Clean"
process has a smaller process window or narrower tolerances in order to
achieve the desired results. However, the tradeoff is not having to do the
cleaning or any rinsing processes for lower costs and higher productivity.

Ed Valentine
Electronics Manufacturing Solutions
8612 Mourning Dove Road, Raleigh, NC 27615
Phone: (919) 270-5145, Fax: (919) 847-9971
Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://www.ems-consulting.com